February 2018 - Present | Capital Associates, Raleigh, NC
April 2017 - February 2018 | COMMUNITY AFFORDABLE HOUSING EQUITY CORPORATION , Raleigh, NC
• Oversaw asset management of a 50 property, 2,407 unit, multi-family low income housing portfolio from Virginia to South Carolina with a focus on identifying regulatory, operational and compliance issues within the portfolio and working with developers, owners and property managers to create action plans for troubled assets and prevent losses for investors.
• Conducted annual project site inspections to identify building code violations, fire and safety violations, and deferred maintenance that would jeopardize the safety of the project or the asset for investors.
• Monitored new portfolio assets during construction, lease-up and stabilization to ensure that the project was meeting internal deadlines and following regulatory procedures as determined by local planning departments. Approved equity payments based on internal construction and lease-up milestones.
• Audited individual tenant files to ensure compliance with Low Income House Tax Credit (LIHTC) regulations.
• Evaluated 3rd party quarterly financials, identified troubled assets, and reported relevant financial information to investors.
February 2013 - April 2017 | SCIENTIFIC PROPERTIES, Durham, NC
Development Manager & Real Estate Associate
• Refinanced 3 major commercial properties, two with complicated historic tax credit legal structures, totaling $22.5 million in loans.
• Streamlined calculation and reporting of Common Area Maintenance year end reconciliation calculations for tenants, which resulted in reconciliation reporting to tenants 3 months earlier than they were previously.
• Managed the move of two historic homes over 5 city blocks; coordinated multiple vendors to ensure utilities were moved and the houses were safely relocated into a residential district, where they will be preserved.
• Oversaw asset management of a nine property, ~420,000 SF portfolio, including investor reporting, budgeting, calculations of operating expenses, calculations of common area maintenance charges, and disposition of $31.3 million in assets, including over $14 million in investor distributions.
• Increased portfolio NOI an average of 3.79% per year over the last three years.
September 2012- February 2013| CENTER FOR AMERICAN PROGRESS, Washington DC
Independent Consultant and Project Manager
• Led a six-person research team which studied the effects of sustainability financing options for affordable multifamily housing with a specific focus on retrofitting older LIHTC properties. The project was funded in part by the MacArthur foundation.
• Researched financing solutions, conducted interviews, and collected data for over 60 programs dealing with energy efficiency retrofits in multifamily properties. Presented a final report to the MacArthur foundation, which suggested effective policy solutions to encourage such energy efficient retrofits.
June-August 2012 |FRANK HAWKINS KENAN INSTITUTE OF PRIVATE ENTERPRISE,Chapel Hill,NC
• Collaborated with a multidisciplinary team to produce a comprehensive housing strategy of three neighborhoods for the City Manager’s office of Kinston, North Carolina spanning more than 40 city blocks.
• Analyzed existing conditions and strategized future solutions through extensive quantitative and qualitative data evaluation.
• Used GIS to create over 30 maps presented to local government officials and the public.
January 2012 | GERALD D. HINES URBAN DESIGN COMPETITION, Houston, TX
• Completed 126 pages of financial analysis for a 4.2 million sq. ft. development and infrastructure project in Houston, Texas with a capital budget of 890 million dollars, including a proforma that used multiple tax credit programs (LIHTC, NMTC).
• Performed preliminary market analysis for multiple uses (Retail, Condo, Apartment, Commerical, Hospitality).
• Contributed to project design through concept development and site planning.
• Final project won first place in North Carolina ULI competition.
August 2010- May 2012 | UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA, Chapel Hill, NC
Research Assistant, Department of City and Regional Planning
• Compiled an index of 357 historic companies in RTP and their second-level economic impacts (for Dr. Meenu Tewari).
• Drafted 10 preliminary market studies as teaching tools for undergraduate and graduate coursework (for Prof. Emil Malizia).
May 2009– August 2009 | CITY OF WILMINGTON, Wilmington, DE
Intern, City Planning Department
• Independently authored report discussing zoning precedents and policy suggestions for sustainable economic waterfront development that was presented to the Wilmington City Council.
• Organized policy precedents for incentivizing sustainable development from over 25 municipalities, including incentives for building LEED certified buildings.
Summer 2008 & 2010 | ARCUS DESIGN GROUP, Exton, PA
Intern, Full-service Architecture Firm
• Worked with licensed architects on a variety of projects including a master planning project, 2 R&D; facilities, 2 mixed-use projects, 2 office buildings, 4 residential, 2 institutional, and LEED certified projects.
• Worked as the sole designer on a 350 square foot lobby extension for a bank that included a new ATM and an ADA entrance.
Summer 2009 | ARCHITECTURAL CONCEPTS, Exton, PA
Intern, Architecture and Design Firm
• Responsible for kitchen and bathroom specifications in the design of an 62 unit complex for senior Section 8 housing.
• Created CAD drawings, checked for ADA compliance, and specified appliances and bathroom fixtures.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 2012
Master of City and Regional Planning, Real Estate and Community Development
First Place, ULI/Gerald D. Hines Student Urban Design Competition, North Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association
The Pennsylvania State University, Schreyer Honors College, University Park, PA 2010
Bachelor of Architecture with Honors with minors in Geography and Architectural History
Alpha Rho Chi Medal, AIA Henry Adams Runner-Up Recipient
Urban Design/Master Planning
Adobe Creative Suite
Yardi Project Management
• Intermediate Spanish (10 years classroom experience)
• Conversationally fluent Italian (2 years classroom and cultural experience)
HONORS AND AWARDS
PROJECTS AND PUBLICATIONS
• “Strategies for Waterfront Development.” City of Wilmington, DE. August 2009.